Monday, March 6, 2017

What Shade Am I, You Ask?



When I was approached by RJR Fabrics about participating in their What Shade are You? blog hop, you totally would have thought I would have said "green" or at least "green and blue!" But on the particular day I had to give a definitive answer, I was feeling very teal and gold and gray.



Now, I had seen many participants choose bundles that were large and colorful, yet when it came right down to it, I chose just six colors. RJR's Demi, who first approached me about participating in the blog hop, really loved the improv pineapple blocks I'd included in my Seattle MQG SeaSLAB BOM, so all along I was planning to create something with pineapple blocks, and I didn't want to lose the design in too much color, if that was even possible. 


Part of participating in #whatshadeareyou is that RJR gives away a bundle just like I used to create my quilt, and I get one to giveaway too! The great thing about that in this case, is longer fabric lengths are up for grabs! Here are the Cotton Supreme Solids I finally chose and how much is in that gorgeous bundle: Here are the Cotton Supreme Solids I finally chose and the amounts needed to make my quilt.
Argento 362 (Background) - 1 1/2 yards
Riviera 274, Turks & Caicos 292, Horizon 354 (Mains) - 1 yard each
Goldilocks 368, Silver 125 (Contasts) - 1 yard, 1/2 yard
***ETA: The giveaway is for 1/2 yard of each color I used. Apologies for the misunderstanding on my part.***


Anyway, wanting my quilt design to be relatively easy to recreate if one chose, I made three sizes of blocks - 20" square, 10" x 20", and 10" square. Thus they were easily arranged in an orderly way, while still giving the quilt a very improvisational look and feel. 



If you've never made improv pineapple blocks, check out the MQG blog. There you'll find technique tutorials for whole pineapple blocks as well as the "half log cabin" version I used.



For quilting, I chose four Aurifil 50wt threads to quilt a design inspired by Jacquie Gering's "Fancy Straight Line" found in her WALK book. I used #2600 (light gray) and #5006 (light turquoise) for the straight vertical lines, then #2810 (turquoise) and #2975 (brass) for the intermittent zig zags. 



I really love how this quilting design adds to the wonky shapes of the quilt itself without overwhelming it.



The finished quilt, which I've dubbed "Pineapple Upset," measures 60" square, and was bound in two shade of teal.

 

Thanks much to RJR Fabrics (#rjrfabrics) for including me in the #whatshadeareyou blog hop! I had great fun playing with their #cottonsupremesolids, that's for sure! The fabric has a lovely hand and such clear colors - a perfect way to #quiltwithlove.



Watch both @rjrfabrics and @aquilterstable later today for opportunities to win a bundle of the #cottonsupremesolids!


29 comments:

  1. I love this! I love the colors. This is definitely something I would like to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful palette! love your quilt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the palette you chose and that because you chose a more limited palette the yardage in the giveaway is really nice! I also really love your photography backdrops for this quilt. They are interesting but the bright quilt is definitely the star of the show. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quilt, and the layout appears more complex than it is, based on the line drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is WOW. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! That is so super beautiful, Debbie! The colours, the improv blocks, the quilting... I just love everything about this quilt! And as always set in a great location!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it. Really caught my eye as I was reading all the blogs. Great color combination and design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colors and learning about your process totally surprised to see the line drawing - I thought it was all improv- I mean it is but...there is some structure too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I thought my favorite part was the blocks until I saw those zig zags in the quilting! So subtle, so awesome! And the colors really feel like you, even though they're not really what I thought you would have picked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's just wonderful Debbie!!! Another fave in my already overflowing to do list! Great color choices!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debbie, I love the colors you chose for this quilt! I'm trying my first improv quilting with solids, and that has been a challenge for me - choosing a limited palette of colors that will work well together. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great quilt, and those colors seem just right for our run up to Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic and timely bit of work! I bought some tan/mustard fabrics for a bee block last week (not a colour I'm drawn to) and have been wondering how to make use of "the rest" of it. I love this palette so this goes straight to Pinterest! Fascinated by the quilting as well - maybe I DO need Jacquie's book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt is really gorgeous! I love the colors you chose and they way you put all of your blocks together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A fantastic quilt! I get in a good mood just looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A beautiful quilt and beautiful pictures of it!
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the colors you chose and the design! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You chose an amazing colour palette for this quilt!! And I really like the piecing and design, but I'm crazy about the quilting you decided to go with. Very, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the colors you picked and the fact that you limited yourself to six colors! It would have been very tempting to pick a lot of colors...I would have!! Love the wonky pineapple blocks. Perfectly done!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great colors. You still get some blue/green in there. Interesting take on a pineapple block.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stunning quilt!! Beautiful colours and equally gorgeous photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a great looking quilt. I love the colors and the photo location too

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful! Love the colors and thanks sharing the block sizes and layout!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the colour combination and the gorgeous pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  25. I wouldn't have chosen that combination of colors, but ... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous colors and "Pineapple Upset" is a perfect name for the quilt. I love the design. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your pictures are great! Love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete